Translate

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Longarm Quilt 27 Tomato Basil: A problem and a question.

For this quilt, I used a pattern called Streakers by black-cat-creations.com



I love the colors on this and looking back I seem to use orange in a lot of my quilts – who knew?

Problem: towards the bottom of the quilt I ended up with wrinkles in the back L!

a big wrinkle

I basted down the sides & did stitch in the ditch down all the columns on the entire quilt first, then went back and quilted the details. I used my ruler and extended base to do the SID.  During the detail quilting, as I got towards the right border, I noticed I was getting some pleating in the back. I was able to rip out some but part of it was forming between the rows that were already sewn down by SID. Thankfully, this quilt was for me so some of the wrinkles stayed in; but it was really upsetting and I still don’t know what I did wrong.

I think I left the extended base on while I did the detail quilting. I had used it to do the SID and just left it on. Was the extended base too close to the quilt back & pushing the backing into wrinkles?

Normally I quilt my way across and down the quilt. But if I’m using 2 different threads, I’d like to quilt with 1 color all the way down, roll back to the top and quilt with the next color. Does that increase the chance for wrinkles in the back?

Question: When using a Longarm, what order do you quilt your tops?

I did a different quilting design in each wide column and a wavy line in the skinny rows using So Fine thread in Hawk.

quilting designs from the back
curly leaves and half feathers


a wavy leaf  border
I'd like to use this pattern again with a bolder print broken up by the narrow streaks of color. Fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment