Translate

Monday, August 26, 2013

First Free Motion Quilt on the Longarm Machine


This is the third quilt that I quilted on my longarm machine, way back in 2010. I know it's the 3rd because I actually keep a list. Because I work full time, I was getting frustrated with my lack of accomplishment so I started a list. The list is kinda long now, but lately I've been distracted with my embroidery machine (we'll save that topic for a later blog). 

Anywho, the quilting on this was all done freehand. I had to figure out how to move from one area to the next without a lot of stops and starts. I have a big piece of plexiglass that I draw on with a dry erase marker. I can put the plexi right on top of the quilt and draw designs to see how they'll look on the quilt and to figure out how to move from each design. I put colored tape around the edges of the plexiglass so I don't slip and draw on the quilt top - that would be a bad thing :(

The quilting isn't that great, but I figure you have to start somewhere; and I get better with each one. I used yellow variegated thread and the backing fabric is black with tiny white dots, like stars.

Star Light, Star Bright
 
I recently sent it to Quilts Beyond Borders, quiltsbeyondborders.wordpress.com to find a wonderful new home. Let me know if you have any questions about the quilting.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice! I share the same frustration. I am not home for about 12 hours a day Mon-Fri because I have an office job. I only get to quilt mostly on the weekend and that's if I have nothing else planned. I got my long arm last year and I get frustrated that I don't get to use it much... I have to have one ready so I can use it!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete